Understanding Asian Sizes and Conversions Shopping for clothes is
Choosing the Best Dress
Pick the right dress for a straight body.
If you’ve got a straight body (narrow hips, no bust, no rear) there are certain dresses that will flatter your body better than others. Fitted sheaths and classic shift dresses work well for this body type.
- Empire waist or A-line skirts on a dress help to give you some curves, if you don’t have much in that area.
- You can also create a more dramatic effect by having an off-the-shoulder dress. The neckline of a dress like this draws more attention to the collarbones and arms.
Choose dresses that enhance your upper body if you have a pear-shaped figure.
Pear-shaped basically means that you’re fuller at the hips and rear and smaller around your bust. Open-neck and strapless dresses are good for drawing attention to your upper body, highlighting your assets.
- Empire waists, full and A-line skirts also enhance your hips and help you look fabulous!
Enhance your form if you’ve got an hourglass figure.
This means that you’ve got a full bust and full hips, with a narrower, defined waist. You’ll want to go for dresses that nip in at the waist and show off your figure.
- Wraps, knit dresses, and sheaths that have a waist are good bets for showing off your figure.
Draw the eye up if you have an apple-shape.
This basically means that your narrowest point is at your ribs, above your natural waist. Empire waists are a good bet for drawing attention upwards since their waistline sits right below the bust.
- Choose a dress with details around the neckline, because this will draw attention upwards.
- Full skirts or A-line skirts on a dress can give you the appearance of an hourglass figure.
Draw attention downwards if you have a full bust.
When your bust measurement is fuller than your hips and rear measurement, a good look is to draw attention away from your bust and even out your top and bottom by the dresses you choose.
- V-necks and halter tops can create a slimming effect (and look good with fuller busts).
- A-line and full skirt dress styles will help create a balance between the top and bottom. Choosing dresses with details at the bottom can also help draw attention downwards.